Sweet-Potato Chips With Tomato Sauce
Sweet potato baked chips are a firm favorite in our house hold. I love giving theses as an afternoon snack or part of a main meal for dinner. They are super easy to make and far more nutritious than the regular white potato chips. Sweet potatoes are easily digested as they are high in fiber. Naturally sweet tasting and contain Vitamin A, beta carotene, potassium folate, calcium, vitamin E and add great value to the nutritional needs of babies and kids.
My kids love dipping their chips into tomato sauce. However it must be said that the commercial brands of tomato sauce are full of sugar, preservatives and not much tomato to be rather honest. Making a home made tomato sauce will also help boost nutritional intake and you know exactly what went in to make the sauce. This sauce is more of a dipping sauce and indeed different to the commercial type. Play around with the base recipe and add in more herbs or spices to make customize the flavor to your own families desires.
Serving Size : 6 – 8 Serve
Cook Time : 45 Minutes
Tomato Dipping Sauce
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar + extra, if needed
- 1 tsp Tamari Sauce
- 3 Slicing Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Small handful fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- 2 Sprigs fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 2kg Sweet-Potatoes, peeled and sliced into fries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Fresh thyme, to garnish
- For the sauce, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the onion until soft. Add the garlic, stir to combine and cook, 2 minutes. Add the sugar, tamari and tomatoes and mix to combine. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer, 20 minutes. Season to taste and add more sugar if the sauce is to acidic. remove from the heat, add the basil and rosemary and blend until smooth and thick, but of a pourable consistency. Sift the sauce and set aside until needed
- For the chips, pre heat the oven to 180C degrees. Gently place the chips into a bowl with olive oil, minced garlic and mixed thoroughly until the chops are well coated. Place the chops on to a lined baking tray and cook until golden brown, approximately 45 minutes to 1 hr. Give the chips a good stir every 20 minutes to avoid burning.
- Serve the chips garnished with fresh thyme and with a side of the home- made tomato sauce for dipping.